Mini golf is a fun activity that is a cherished pastime for many, as it requires little physical effort and offers plenty of entertainment for players of all ages and backgrounds.
The fun and casual environment it creates allows for easy conversation, making it a great idea for a first date idea. Besides engaging in casual conversation, you and your date are also able to show off your putting skills and have an enjoyable time.
In this guide, we’ll be exploring both the positive aspects and potential drawbacks of opting for a mini golf outing as a first date activity. In addition, we have incorporated a section that will guide you through the process of planning the date.
Benefits of Playing Mini Golf on Your First Date
Playing mini golf on your first date comes with numerous benefits. Let’s explore these in a little more detail.
It Creates a Fun & Enjoyable Atmosphere
Mini golf is just downright fun! There are only a few things more entertaining than hitting a golf ball around a creatively designed course while observing the efforts of other players trying to sink the ball in each hole.
Most mini golf courses are designed to offer a balance of fun and entertainment. Even seemingly difficult or frustrating holes are sure to generate plenty of laughs and keep your special someone smiling throughout your date.
You can play a round of mini golf at a casual pace and enjoy the relaxed environment it creates. Such an environment is perfect for getting to know your date through casual conversations.
It Allows for Casual Conversation
Mini golf facilitates casual conversation on a first date, as the activity is relatively low-pressure and allows you and your date to engage in playful banter and friendly competition.
The breaks between holes or waiting in line for your turn can also provide opportunities to get to know each other better. You’ll be able to talk with your date about all types of topics.
Additionally, the whimsical and lighthearted nature of mini golf can help to ease nervousness or awkwardness that might arise during a typical first date. This makes it easier for both of you to relax and enjoy the moment.
It Offers a Unique Experience
A mini golf date idea is unique and offers a good change from more traditional dating activities such as going to the movies or going for a stroll. This uniqueness means the date will end up being far more memorable than other ideas.
Mini golf is also a casual game, which may make your date feel less intimidating. It gives you the freedom to really get to know your date or focus on the game whenever there’s a lull in your conversation.
Drawbacks and Things to Consider
A mini golf date does present a few drawbacks. You should consider these before floating the idea of a mini golf date to someone.
While mini golf can be a fun activity for many, it may not be suitable for individuals with mobility issues or physical limitations. Keep in mind that no two courses are the same and some may not be wheelchair accessible or may pose challenges due to their design or layout.
In other cases, certain people simply may not enjoy the competitive aspect of playing mini golf or prefer to have more of a traditional first date. However, this will also depend on the type of atmosphere and environment you cultivate while playing the game with your date.
Limited In-Depth Conversation
A lot of your conversations with your date will likely revolve around mini golf. Such conversations are great for breaking the ice and engaging in small talk. However, the course’s public setting might not present an opportunity for more intimate or personal conversations.
Playing a casual round of mini golf may quickly escalate into a competitive showdown with your date, particularly if both of you are competitive. Nonetheless, you wouldn’t want this to occur while on a date.
Accidentally unleashing your competitive side could end up souring the mood and make you appear less likable. To make matters worse, you will need to complete the entire course to end the date, and this can be awkward to do if the mood has already soured.
Mini golf courses are typically situated in outdoor settings, making them an ideal choice for a date on a bright, sunny day. However, if it starts raining, you may need to postpone your plans.
Fortunately, there are plenty of indoor mini golf courses available as a backup option if the weather is unfavorable. Always remember to plan ahead and check the weather forecast!
Other Activities That a Mini Golf Date Can Be Combined With
You can combine your mini golf date with other activities to make your outing extra special. Some activities include the following:
- Have a Picnic – Consider bringing a blanket and a basket of snacks or lunch to enjoy at the mini golf course. Many mini golf courses have flat open spaces around the course that is perfect for setting up a picnic. However, you should ask the management if you’re permitted to do so on the premises. Alternatively, find a quiet and romantic place close by.
- Eat Ice Cream – There’s nothing quite like eating ice cream after playing mini golf on a warm and sunny day. Simply find a nice ice cream parlor and continue getting to know each other.
- Have Dinner – You can plan to have dinner with your date after leaving the mini golf course. This gives you an opportunity to talk about all sorts of things over your meal. It’s also a great way to end a first date!
- Go to the Movies – Going to the movies is great before or after your game. They provide a shared experience that can facilitate conversation and connection. Additionally, movies offer a range of genres and themes, making it easy to find something that you and your date will enjoy.
- Sing Karaoke – Karaoke is another fun dating activity (if you’re both into singing). Consider showing off your singing skills after you’ve demonstrated your skills on the mini golf course.
- Go for a Walk – Going for a walk after your mini golf date can be romantic, as it provides an opportunity for the couple to continue their conversation in a more relaxed and intimate setting while enjoying each other’s company and the surroundings.
- Enjoy Other Pastimes – If you plan your mini golf date for earlier in the day, you can engage in other popular activities afterward. This includes going to a funfair or feeding the ducks at a pond.
How to Plan a First Date at a Mini Golf Course
To plan the perfect first date at a mini golf course, simply follow the steps that we have outlined in detail below.
- Decide On the Date and Time: Choose a date and time that works for you and your date. A round of mini golf typically takes an hour to complete, but you should also factor in the time it will take to travel to the course and get set up. You should also check the weather forecast for the day you have chosen and ensure it will be clear and sunny.
- Select a Mini Golf Course: Once you have chosen a suitable date and time, consider looking into the different mini golf courses in your area. You should choose a course that is convenient, accessible, and fits your budget. Consider booking a time slot for your chosen course in advance.
- Consider Your Budget: Determine the cost of mini golf and any other activities you plan to do. You should ensure sure this fits within both of your budgets.
- Dress Appropriately: Be sure to check the dress code at the mini golf course and dress appropriately for the activity. You should also inform your date about this dress code.
- Plan Additional Activities: You can also plan some other fun activities to do before or after your mini golf session. This includes going to the movies, visiting a funfair, going for dinner, or simply enjoying a stroll in the park.
Frequently Asked Questions
Got any questions? Read out answers to some frequently asked questions about mini golf dates and how to plan the perfect one!
How Much Does a Date at a Mini Golf Course Cost?
The cost of playing a round of mini varies depending on the location and course. You can expect to pay between $5 and $20 per person. However, this doesn’t factor in the cost of the other activities you plan to pair with your mini golf game.
You should also consider the cost of any food, drinks, or snacks you will consume before, during, or after your game.
What Should I Wear to a Mini Golf Date?
Some mini golf courses have specific dress codes for players, so you should observe this and dress accordingly. It is also best to wear comfortable and flexible clothing that won’t hold you back during this physical activity.
Wearing comfortable shoes is especially important, as you and your date will spend most of your time walking across each hole. Make sure to check out our guide on the best mini golf outfits!
Can Mini Golf be Played in Bad Weather Conditions?
Mini golf can be a weather-dependent activity, depending on the course you have chosen. You should always check the weather forecast before setting off on a mini golf date at an outdoor course.
While most outdoor courses close when it rains, some of them stay open. However, playing mini golf in the rain is likely to be more frustrating than enjoyable, especially on a date. If it does start raining, you and your date can opt to visit an indoor mini golf course instead.
What If One Person is Better at Mini Golf Than the Other?
Mini golf is a casual and lighthearted activity, so you and your date aren’t likely to get into a heated competition with one another. If one of you is much better at this game, you can use the opportunity to teach your date or learn from them.
This offers a great opportunity to bond and get to know your date better. Just be sure to keep your competitive side in check.
Thomas writes guides and reviews on minigolfwise and calls himself a mini golf nerd. Once an avid mini golf player, he now dedicates his time teaching others how to perfect their game!